Thursday, October 17, 2013

Quick and Fresh Veggie Sandwich (with Variations)

I wish I could take credit for this stroke of genius, but the credit for this recipe goes to my husband. :) I confess, we ate these sandwiches for lunch at least five times this week, and I'm still not tired of them. So simple, yet so very delicious.

The best part of this sandwich is that I cut up the veggies and put them in baggies in the fridge, so it was easier than easy to slap the toppings between two pieces of bread and eat up.

Quick and Fresh Veggie Sandwich
whole wheat bread or french loaf or wrap
2 bell peppers (yellow or orange are preferable), sliced
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
fresh spinach or other leafy greens
1/2 TBSP (per sandwich) sweet onion salad dressing (or whatever dressing or spread you prefer)
salt and pepper

Variations:
avocado, sliced
or
mushrooms (sautéed with 2 tsp garlic, black pepper, 1 tsp soy sauce, and a handful of red onion slices)

Like I said, I chopped the bell peppers, tomatoes, and red onion ahead of time and stored them in the refrigerator so that we could eat these sandwiches all week without any prep time. We still haven't made it through those toppings after making 8 sandwiches, so I would estimate they will last for 10 to 12 sandwiches, just to give you a rough idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment