Thursday, July 25, 2013

Breakfast Smoothie

Banana, Strawberry, Spinach Smoothie
I don't know about you, but my stomach can be a little picky first thing in the morning. Cereal gives me a stomach ache, toast makes my stomach acidic, pancakes are way too sugary, and traditional breakfast foods like bacon and eggs are too rich (and not plant-based :). So for me, the best breakfast is large smoothie.

I know, I know—breakfast it supposed to be your biggest meal, a big breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism, a big breakfast gives you energy for the rest of your day. But my body is definitely telling me that a nutritious smoothie is the right breakfast for me, and I'm done trying to argue with it. Especially since smoothies are so delicious, gentle on the stomach, and easy to make! 

Here is a very basic, and very open-ended, smoothie recipe to get you started, and then I want to tell you why I don't use protein powder.



Breakfast Smoothie
1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
1 cup almond milk 
1–2 big handful of raw spinach or other greens
1 TBSP flax seeds or chia seeds 
1–2 TBSP natural peanut butter (optional)
1–2 cups frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, plums, melons—whatever you want)

My blender works better if I layer the ingredients in the this order: milk, flax or chia seeds, peanut butter, banana, spinach, and then frozen fruit on top. Pulse the blender until the frozen fruit is mostly broken up, and then blend it until smooth. (I think that it's easier on the motor if I do it this way.) And don't feel like you have to measure the ingredients. I never do.

The Protein Myth
So I don't use protein powder in my smoothies, and if you're wondering why, it's because some research is saying that it is actually a myth that extra protein equals extra health. Yes, your body needs protein, but it doesn't need very much. And the typical American is actually getting way too much protein. 

It's funny, because I've read or heard about the protein myth several times since I started eating healthier, and the research seems pretty solid to me, but I still occasionally panic about not having enough protein in my diet. It is so engrained in us to obsess over protein when really you can meet all of your protein needs by eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and legumes (beans).

Anyway, that's all I want to say, because I'm no expert, and I don't want come across as preachy either. :) But if you want to know more, here is a website to get you started. I also recommend The China Study by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell and Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman.

What healthy breakfasts do you guys like to eat? I'm always looking for new ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment